Lionel 'Leo' Frederic Thomas HODGES (1866-1941)

Born 22 Mar 1866, 8, Florence St, Islington.  Son of Edwin Charles Hodges (1831 - 1925) and Emma Lane (1833 - 1913).

23 Jan 1890 married Mary Elizabeth DUCKER (1864-1949), from Happisburgh, Norfolk, known as 'Polly', daughter of David DUCKER and Harriet PAGE.

Died 16 Feb 1941, Three Counties Hospital, Stotfold, Beds. Buried 20 Feb 1941, St Michael's Churchyard, Woolmer Green, Herts.


1871 and 1881 Censuses living at 8 Florence Street Islington. Attended the South Islington Commercial and Mathematical School in Parkfield Street, Islington, like brothers, Arthur, Edgar and Leslie. Won top award for good work in 1877.

1881 Census listed as a stationer's clerk. However later in  the year started his gunmaking career as a stocker, (Harper's Weekly Obituary).

Away from gunmaking Lionel appears to have had a keen interest in sport all his life. At various times he was an accomplished exponent of athletics, boxing, cycle racing (probably at the Wood Green track 1895-1910, with his brother Leslie), game-shooting, and freshwater and sea fishing in Norfolk, pictured top right - Lionel front row 3rd from left, Leslie in front of the mast.

1891 living at 3 Sotheby Rd, Highbury, Islington with wife and Charles R Ducker, brother in law.

1894, stripped and finished a 12-bore sidelever hammerless ejector gun for Henry Atkin. 

Between 1898 and Jan 1905 Lionel stocked and finished around 150 guns for Henry Atkin, his father EC having actioned them.

In 1899 working out of 249 Upper St, Islington.

1898-1912, bred and showed Champion Newfoundland dogs at Crufts and elsewhere, as did wife Mary. For roughly the same period was Hon Sec of Newfoundlands Club. Show animals included, Lincoln Snowflake, Lincoln Dick, Bonnie Lassie, Portland Queen, Waterwitch, Omega, The King's Daughter, and Shelton Pearl Maiden.

1900 moved workshop from Upper St to 18 Charterhouse buildings, off Goswell Road, central London. Living at 51 Canonbury Rd.

15th April 1900 son Arthur Edwin born (see his own page).

1901 census, living at 55 Elgin Rd, Seven Kings, Essex wrongly transcribed as 'Glass manufacturer'. Lives at Elgin Rd until 1905.

Business still listed (wrongly) at 18 Charterhouse buildings in the 1908 list of  'Gunsmiths and Gunmakers of the UK', although Nigel Brown correctly lists him there only between 1900-1905.

1903 A number of Army and Navy guns stocked by Lionel.

1905 Moves home and probably his business to 27 Barnsbury Pk, Islington. His house had a workshop attached.

1905-10, A boxlock ejector (12 bore) with toplever and 30” steel barrels located from this period in Lionel's own name and with his Barnsbury Pk address. Pictured top left.

1907 Henry Atkin died in February and his nephew Charles Frederick Hinton (previously a commercial traveller) takes over the business as MD, with Thomas Albert Appleton as company secretary.

1910 Lionel joins Henry Atkin (according to his Harper's Weekly Obituary). An article in The Field 4/8/1920 states he joined permanently in 1911.

Thomas Appleton only signatory to the Atkin accounts in March In September CF Hinton dies. Lionel probably becomes a director at this time.

1912/3 Moves to 'Marlbrooks' thought to be Malbrooks farmhouse, Thoby Lane, Mountnessing, Essex. Living at this address when his eldest son John Lionel 'Jack' joins the 10th bn. Essex Regiment in The Great War.

1913 Lionel is co-director of Henry Atkin (before year end 31st March) with Thomas Appleton.

1916 Son John ('Jack') dies at the Somme in October at 24 years of age.

1920 described in 7th August edition of Country Life as 'part proprietor' of Atkin with 'principal' Appleton.

June 1920 war memorial at St Giles church, Mountnessing unveiled, with Jack Hodges commemorated.

By December 1921 Lionel and family had moved to Margaretting, Essex.

1922 Living at 'Lyndock', in Margaretting, Essex. [Kelly's Directory]

Around 1925 moves to a five acre plot at 'The Ridge', Welwyn, Herts and builds three bungalows and a cottage. This address is given for his parents when Jack's military memorial is constructed at the Courcelette British Cemetery near the Somme around 1926.

Feb 1925 Lionel granted administration of EC Hodges' estate, when the latter died intestate.

From mid 1920s provides financial assistance to support his unmarried elder sister Rosa who moved in with youngest brother Frank at the approach of WWII. 

Lionel runs Henry Atkin as chairman between about 1920 until his retirement in 1940.

Feb 1941, dies at Three Counties Hospital, Stotfold after a short illness. He leaves all goods, chattels and car including 'The Ridge' bungalow and Ridge Cottage at Robbery Bottom, Oaklands, Welwyn, Herts, to wife Mary.

A week after Lionel's death on 16th February 1941, Kathleen joined her brother Arthur Hodges (1900-1983) as an Atkin director.

Wife Mary died in February 1949 and was buried alongside Lionel in St Michael's churchyard, Woolmer Green, near Welwyn, Herts.
After Mary's death, the Ridge cottage passed to Lionel's sister and Atkin director Kathleen Mary Hodges.

Make a Free Website with Yola.